Useful tips and ideas for all us writers!
Every author has a different approach to writing. I know this because I read Rebecca Bradley’s wonderful series on how writers do their thing. Each author she spotlights adds a personal twist that intrigues me.
Not so surprisingly, no one’s approach is like mine. Here’s how I write a novel:
- Draft out events for the novel in a spreadsheet program like Excel. This gives me room to add columns and rows with new information, new ideas, notes to track an event through the story. Here’s what my spreadsheet for my latest WIP looks like:
- JK Rowling’s is low-tech, but still an obvious spreadsheet:
- Convert the draft to a word processing program like MS Word. Mine is usually 70+ pages.
- Add details about timing, setting, characters, clothing, transitions, chapter breaks.
- Start at the beginning and read for flow, timing, pacing. Edit diligently. I do this a day at a time. I…
View original post 527 more words